The mountains of Rwanda are home to the mighty Silverback Gorilla. Nestled in the cradle of Volcanoes National Park, the species has flourished. This is your chance to experience their beauty at a safe distance and see them in their native habitat. Each night you’ll stay in the luxurious Gorilla’s Nest Lodge and learn about the history of the area.
TRIP TYPE: Adventure
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Easy/Moderate
TRIP LENGTH: 4 days/3 nights
SPACES AVAILABLE: 8 – 14
A unique chance to observe the Silverback Gorilla, the most endangered species of gorilla.
Explore Volcanoes National Park
A perfect add-on adventure after summiting Kilimanjaro!
Luxury Gorilla Tracking
From $ 6,995per person4-Star Lodging in Volcanoes National Park
Single supplement + $1,155
Classic Gorilla Tracking
From $ 4,995per person3-Star Lodging in Volcanoes National Park
Single supplement + $900
- Arrival at Kigali International Airport where you will be welcomed and greeted by our representative, who will transfer you to Musanze/Volcanoes | 2.5 hours
- Overnight: Gorilla’s Nest Lodge
- Meals included: D
- After breakfast, you will report at the ORTPN headquarters at 7:00 AM, where your driver/guide will help you accomplish the necessary formalities to see the gorillas
- You will meet your ranger guide(s) for a briefing about the greatest animal experience ever, then we will drive you to the slopes of one of the Virunga volcanoes for your trekking
- In the afternoon visit the famous twin lakes: Burera and Ruhondo
Overnight: Gorilla’s Nest Lodge
- Meals included: B/D
- This will be your second day of gorilla tracking
- You will meet your ranger guide(s) for a briefing, then we will drive you to the slopes of one of the Virunga volcanoes for your trekking
- In the afternoon visit Iby’Iwacu community village to be entertained by local communities before driving back to Kigali
- Overnight: Kigali Serena Hotel
- Meals included: B/D
- After your breakfast, start the Kigali city tour
- Discover its pre-colonial, colonial, post-Colonial eras, i.e. independence, genocide period and current developments
- See Richard Kandt’s Natural History Museum, Kigali Genocide Memorial, and more
- The tour highlights some of the hideous moments the country has passed through and great strides made since
- Domestic flight included
- Meals included: B
- Gratuities for service personnel during scheduled itinerary
- Transportation by private vans and buses throughout
- Baggage handling throughout adventure
- Services of local English-speaking guides and staff throughout
- All services, tours, hikes, entrance, and excursion fees described in the itinerary
- 3 nights lodging
- All meals included during scheduled itinerary
- Pre-trip planning, customization, and consultation
- Interactive gear list
- Roundtrip Flight from Arusha, Tanzania (JRO) to Kilgali, Rwanda (KGL)
- International and domestic airfare other than as described in itinerary
- Passports and visas
- Immunization costs
- Travel and medical insurance
- Personal trekking gear
- Optional excursions or deviations from the scheduled tour
- Meals or bottled beverages other than those specified in the itinerary
- Excess baggage charges
- Items of a personal nature: laundry, soft drinks, incidentals, etc.
- Expenses incurred due to circumstances outside of WWTrek’s control
- Gratuities for guides
HUMAN OUTREACH PROJECT
One of World Wide Trekking’s founding principles is giving back to the places we travel. Through our sister non-profit, Human Outreach Project, we are making a difference in lives around the globe, and connecting trekkers with voluntourism opportunities in local communities.
Although we don’t have projects in this part of the world, there are always opportunities to get involved and find a meaningful way to engage with the local community. We would love to talk to you about custom voluntourism and humanitarian opportunities that you can incorporate into your WWTrek trip. To find out more, go to HumanOutreachProject.org or contact us.
Gorilla tracking is a year-round activity in Rwanda, although our personal favorite time to visit is during the short dry season from mid-December to early February as well as over the long dry season from June to September.
This trip begins and ends at Kilgali International Airport (KGL) in Rwanda.
*Many guests prefer to arrive before, or leave after, the scheduled itinerary. We can help you make arrangements. Additional charges for early arrival, transportation, lodging, meals, and activities will apply.
International airfare, JRO – KGL – JRO, is not included in the program price. We will help reserve and book your flight and add it to your invoice.
When you land in Kigali, apply for an East African Tourist Visa ($100). This is a multiple entry visa and allows you to enter Rwanda and Uganda.
*Note: Please be sure to have at least six months validity on your passport. Most countries won’t allow travelers in their country unless their passport is expected to expire six months after the last day of travel. Make two copies of your passport, leave one at home and bring the other with you to Rwanda. Ensure you provide a copy of your passport to WWTrek 90-days prior to your departure date.
We recommend you safeguard your trip by purchasing travel insurance. World Wide Trekking has partnered with AIG Travel Insurance as our preferred travel insurance provider. For a price quote, or to purchase travel insurance, visit
Please Note: You must purchase this plan within 14 days of your deposit payment. Please send us a copy of your plan if you choose to purchase one.
Enjoy your stay in Rwanda’s most elegant lodges while we make every effort to impress on our exhilarating gorilla adventures. For us, it’s all about the details because the fine points make the difference. The luxurious lodges offer standard and contemporary amenities including internet, spa services, laundry, swimming pool, and fine dining accommodations.
A World Wide Trekking representative will privately transport you from the airport to your lodge. We arrange all in-country transportation and ensure safe, comfortable, and private transportation for all of our travel needs.
Proper nutrition plays a vital role in the success of all our adventures. We offer a flexible and accommodating yet flavorful and hearty dining experience shared together at the lodges. Enjoy buffet style breakfasts and banquet style dinners. The lodges provide two or more options during each course. Beverages range from water and soda to beer.
Our stringent commitment to safety means you have access to our medically certified guide(s) before and throughout your trip. Our staff also carries emergency medical equipment such as a medical kit and satellite communicator.
In addition, we recommend visiting your local International Travel Clinic one month before your trip. Needed vaccinations include a current tetanus shot, annual influenza shot, Varicella, Typhoid, Hep A, and MMR.
For more information, feel free to contact us directly with any questions, at 801-943-0264. We can schedule a phone call with our medical advisor, Dr. Levy, to answer any specific questions regarding your personal needs.
Once you sign on with WWTrekking, we are here for you every step of the way! You will be assigned a trip manager who will help you prepare for your trip. Whether your questions or needs are regarding flights, packing, early arrivals, departures, accommodations or anything else, your adventure specialist is only a phone call away!
Once your trip begins, World Wide Trekking boasts an extensive support crew. We provide medically certified, Professional Western guide(s) for all adventures of 8+ passengers as well as a plethora of local professionals to aid the group along the way. Additionally, you have access to a Local Operations Manager throughout your adventure.
In many parts of the world, gratuities are given in appreciation for a job well done. Our guides will take care of tipping service personnel along the way so that you don’t have to think about it.
For any additional services outside of our itinerary, plan to tip 10% (transport, restaurants, baggage, lodges, etc). We will provide you with detailed tipping recommendations in your ‘Trip Detail’ document once you sign up.
At the trails end you will have the opportunity to contribute to a group tipping pool that will be presented to your WWTrekking guides and trekking staff as we say our goodbyes.
Many guests prefer to arrive early or leave late so they can add more adventure into their vacation. We can help you make arrangements. Additional charges for early arrival, transportation, lodging, meals, and activities will apply. Below are some of our favorite and most popular add-on adventures.
We recommend exchanging money at the airport as soon as you clear customs. We will offer additional exchange opportunities, but typically you will receive the best rates at the airport. Exchanging $100 should suit your needs for the trek. We always recommend bringing $500 cash with you on your trip for incidentals.