The mountains of Rwanda are home to the mighty Silverback Gorilla. Nestled in the cradle of Volcanoes National Park, the species has flourished. This is your chance to experience their beauty at a safe distance and see them in their native habitat. Each night you’ll stay in the luxurious Gorilla’s Nest Lodge and learn about the history of the area.
TRIP TYPE: Adventure
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Easy/Moderate
TRIP LENGTH: 4 days/3 nights
SPACES AVAILABLE: 8 – 14
A unique chance to observe the Silverback Gorilla, the most endangered species of gorilla.
Explore Volcanoes National Park
A perfect add-on adventure after summiting Kilimanjaro!
Luxury Gorilla Tracking
From $ 6,995per person4-Star Lodging in Volcanoes National Park
Single occupancy + $1,155
Classic Gorilla Tracking
From $ 4,995per person3-Star Lodging in Volcanoes National Park
Single occupancy + $900
- Arrival at Kigali International Airport where you will be welcomed and greeted by our representative, who will transfer you to Musanze/Volcanoes | 2.5 hours
- Overnight: Gorilla’s Nest Lodge
- Meals included: D
- After breakfast, you will report at the ORTPN headquarters at 7:00 AM, where your driver/guide will help you accomplish the necessary formalities to see the gorillas
- You will meet your ranger guide(s) for a briefing about the greatest animal experience ever, then we will drive you to the slopes of one of the Virunga volcanoes for your trekking
- In the afternoon visit the famous twin lakes: Burera and Ruhondo
Overnight: Gorilla’s Nest Lodge
- Meals included: B/D
- This will be your second day of gorilla tracking
- You will meet your ranger guide(s) for a briefing, then we will drive you to the slopes of one of the Virunga volcanoes for your trekking
- In the afternoon visit Iby’Iwacu community village to be entertained by local communities before driving back to Kigali
- Overnight: Kigali Serena Hotel
- Meals included: B/D
- After your breakfast, start the Kigali city tour
- Discover its pre-colonial, colonial, post-Colonial eras, i.e. independence, genocide period and current developments
- See Richard Kandt’s Natural History Museum, Kigali Genocide Memorial, and more
- The tour highlights some of the hideous moments the country has passed through and great strides made since
- Domestic flight included
- Meals included: B
- Gratuities for service personnel during scheduled itinerary
- Transportation by private vans and buses throughout
- Baggage handling throughout adventure
- Services of local English-speaking guides and staff throughout
- All services, tours, hikes, entrance, and excursion fees described in the itinerary
- 3 nights lodging
- All meals included during scheduled itinerary
- Pre-trip planning, customization, and consultation
- Interactive gear list
- Roundtrip Flight from Arusha, Tanzania (JRO) to Kilgali, Rwanda (KGL)
- International and domestic airfare other than as described in itinerary
- Passports and visas
- Immunization costs
- Travel and medical insurance
- Personal trekking gear
- Optional excursions or deviations from the scheduled tour
- Meals or bottled beverages other than those specified in the itinerary
- Excess baggage charges
- Items of a personal nature: laundry, soft drinks, incidentals, etc.
- Expenses incurred due to circumstances outside of WWTrek’s control
- Gratuites for guides
HUMAN OUTREACH PROJECT
One of World Wide Trekking’s founding principles is giving back to the places we travel. Through our sister non-profit, Human Outreach Project, we are making a difference in lives around the globe, and connecting trekkers with voluntourism opportunities in local communities.
Although we don’t have projects in this part of the world, there are always opportunities to get involved and find a meaningful way to engage with the local community. We would love to talk to you about custom voluntourism and humanitarian opportunities that you can incorporate into your WWTrek trip. The find out more, go to HumanOutreachProject.org or contact us.
Gorilla tracking is a year-round activity in Rwanda, although our personal favorite time to visit is during the short dry season from mid-December to early February as well as over the long dry season from June to September.
This trip begins and ends at Kilgali International Airport (KGL) in Rwanda.
*Many guests prefer to arrive before, or leave after, the scheduled itinerary. We can help you make arrangements. Additional charges for early arrival, transportation, lodging, meals, and activities will apply.
International airfares are not included in program pricing. There are many flight options into and out of Kilgali. Our travel expert, Danny Genung at Harr Travel is more than happy to review the many flight options to Kilgali. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 909.266.0117.
The benefit of using a travel agent is in the event of itinerary changes, the travel agent will find the best flight connections, and land arrangements, for you. Though third-party travel websites are convenient, they are not recommended, due to instability in the itineraries. We also recommend that you protect your flight with travel insurance and a refundable ticket.
U.S. Citizens must obtain a tourist visa to travel in Rwanda, this visa is included in your trip. Once you sign on for your trip with WWTrek we will make sure you are prepared to travel!
*Please Note: You will need a passport valid for more than six months after your trip. Make two copies of your passport. Leave one at home and bring the other with you to Rwanda in case of an emergency. Ensure you provide a color copy of your passport to WWTrek 90-days prior to your departure date. Carry two extra passport photos when you travel.
We recommend purchasing travel insurance, which will protect you in the event of an unanticipated cancellation of your trip, and depending on the plan you choose, can refund all the costs already paid (including flights, trip costs, and your payment to us). Please note: you must purchase this plan within 14 days of your deposit payment. There are three plans that we recommend choosing from: Cavalry, Rip Cord or Harbor. Please send us a copy of your plan if you choose to purchase one.
Enjoy your stay in Rwanda most elegant lodges while we make every effort to impress on our exhilarating safari adventures. For us, it’s all about the details because the fine points make the difference. The luxurious lodges offer standard and contemporary amenities including internet, spa services, laundry, swimming pool, and fine dining accommodations.
A World Wide Trekking representative will privately transport you from the airport to your lodge. We arrange all in-country transportation and ensure safe, comfortable, and private transportation for all of our travel needs.
Proper nutrition plays a vital role in the success of all our adventures. We offer a flexible and accommodating yet flavorful and hearty dining experience shared together at the lodges. Enjoy buffet style breakfasts and banquet style lunches and dinners. The lodges provide two or more options during each course and beverages range from water and soda to beer.
Our stringent commitment to safety means you have access to our medically certified guide(s) before and throughout your trip. Our staff also carries emergency medical equipment such as satellite phones and medical kits
In addition, we recommend visiting your local travel vaccination clinic one month before your trip. Needed vaccinations include a current tetanus shot, annual influenza shot, Varicella, Typhoid, Hep A, and MMR.
For more information, feel free to contact Dr. Levy, our medical advisor, at 801-943-0264
Once you sign on with WWTrekking, we are here for you every step of the way! You will be assigned a trip manager who will help you prepare for your trip. Whether your questions or needs are regarding flights, packing, early arrivals, departures, accommodations or anything else, your adventure specialist is only a phone call away!
Once your trip begins, World Wide Trekking boasts an extensive support crew on all trips of 8 people or more. We provide medically certified, Professional Western guide(s) for all adventures of 8+ passengers as well as a plethora of local professionals to aid the group along the way. Additionally, you have access to a Local Operations Manager throughout your adventure.
In many parts of the world, gratuities are given in appreciation for a job well done. Our guides will take care of tipping service personnel along the way so that you don’t have to think about it.
For any additional services outside of our itinerary, plan to tip 10% (transport, restaurants, baggage, lodges, etc). We will provide you a tipping guide once you sign up for a trip.
At the trails end you will have the opportunity to contribute to a group tipping pool that will be presented to your WWTrekking guides and trekking staff as we say our goodbyes.
Many guests prefer to arrive early or leave late so they can add more adventure into their vacation. We can help you make arrangements. Additional charges for early arrival, transportation, lodging, meals, and activities will apply. Below are some of our favorite and most popular add-on adventures.
We recommend exchanging money at the airport as soon as you clear customs. We will offer additional exchange opportunities, but typically you will receive the best rates at the airport. Exchanging $100 should suit your needs for the trek. We always recommend bringing $500 cash with you on your trip for incidentals.