The mountains of Rwanda are home to the mighty Silverback Gorilla. Nestled in the cradle of Volcanoes National Park, the species has flourished. This is your chance to experience their beauty at a safe distance and see them in their native habitat. Each night you’ll stay in the luxurious Gorilla’s Nest Lodge and learn about the history of the area.
TRIP TYPE: Adventure
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Easy/Moderate
TRIP LENGTH: 4 days/3 nights
SPACES AVAILABLE: 16
Classic – from $4,995/person
Luxury – from $6,995/person
*all prices based on double occupancy
A unique chance to observe the Silverback Gorilla, the most endangered species of gorilla.
Explore Volcanoes National Park
A perfect add-on adventure after summiting Kilimanjaro!
- Arrival at Kigali International Airport where you will be welcomed and greeted by our representative, who will transfer you to Musanze/Volcanoes | 2.5 hours
- Overnight: Gorilla’s Nest Lodge
- Meals included: D
- After breakfast you will report at the ORTPN headquarters at 7:00AM, where your driver/guide will help you accomplish the necessary formalities to see the gorillas
- You will meet your ranger guide(s) for a briefing about the greatest animal experience ever, then we will drive you to the slopes of one of the Virunga volcanoes for your trekking
- In the afternoon visit the the famous twin lakes: Burera and Ruhondo
Overnight: Gorilla’s Nest Lodge
- Meals included: B/D
- This will be your second day of gorilla tracking
- You will meet your ranger guide(s) for a briefing, then we will drive you to the slopes of one of the Virunga volcanoes for your trekking
- In the afternoon visit Iby’Iwacu community village to be entertained by local communities before driving back to Kigali
- Overnight: Kigali Serena Hotel
- Meals included: B/D
- After your breakfast, start the Kigali city tour
- Discover its pre-colonial, colonial, post-Colonial eras, i.e. independence, genocide period and current developments
- See Richard Kandt’s Natural History Museum, Kigali Genocide Memorial, and more
- The tour highlights some of the hideous moments the country has passed through and great strides made since
- Domestic flight included
- Meals included: B
HUMAN OUTREACH PROJECT
One of World Wide Trekking’s founding principles is giving back to the places we travel. Through our sister non-profit, Human Outreach Project, we are making a difference in lives around the globe, and connecting trekkers with voluntourism opportunities in local communities.
Although we don’t have projects in this part of the world, there are always opportunities to get involved and find a meaningful way to engage with the local community. We would love to talk to you about custom voluntourism and humanitarian opportunities that you can incorporate into your WWTrek trip. The find out more, go to HumanOutreachProject.org or contact us.
Gorilla tracking is a year-round activity in Rwanda, although our personal favorite time to visit is during the short dry season from mid-December to early February as well as over the long dry season from June to September.
This trip begins and ends at Kilgali International Airport (KGL) in Rwanda.
*Many guests prefer to arrive before, or leave after, the scheduled itinerary. We can help you make arrangements. Additional charges for early arrival, transportation, lodging, meals, and activities will apply.
International airfares are not included in program pricing. There are many flight options into and out of Kilgali. WWTrek has an expert travel agent that can help you with all of your travel arrangements. We utilize Danny Genung at Harr Travel to book all of our flights. He can be reached at: email@example.com or 909.266.0117. The benefit of using a travel agent is in the event of itinerary changes, the travel agent will find the best flight connections, and land arrangements, for you. Though third-party travel websites are convenient, they are not recommended, due to instability in the itineraries.
We recommend that you protect your flight with travel insurance and a refundable ticket.
U.S. Citizens must obtain a tourist visa to travel in Rwanda, this visa is included in your trip. Once you sign on for your trip with WWTrek we will make sure you are prepared to travel!
*Please Note: You will need a passport valid for more than six months after your trip. Make two copies of your passport. Leave one at hime and bring the other with you to Rwanda in case of an emergency. Ensure you provide a color copy of your passport to WWTrek 90-days prior to your departure date. Carry two extra passport photos when you travel.
As in many parts of the world, gratuities are a symbol of a job well done. In addition to recognizing service people such as taxi drivers, restaurant and hotel personnel, we also acknowledge our staff with a gratuity.
All service style gratuities (e.g. transportation, dining, and hotels) are included in your trip price and the WWTrek guide will take care of tips for the whole group. During free days, or whenever you are enjoying a service that is not on our itinerary, you can expect to tip 10%. Your trip manager will send you guidelines for tipping prior to your departure.
WWTrek Staff: At the trails-end you will have the opportunity to contribute to a group tipping pool that will be presented as we say our goodbyes.
We recommend exchanging money at the airport as soon as you clear customs. We will offer additional exchange opportunities, but typically you will receive the best rates at the airport. Exchanging $100 should suit your needs for the trek. We always recommend bringing $500 cash with you on your trip for incidentals.